By: Nora Profit
The taboo workplace romance is confronted with optimism and practical perspective.
What’s love got to do with it? Not much, if you’re Tina Turner. But, if you’re talking about office romances, there’s a lot to be said. Office flirtations, quickie sex, and extramarital affairs with colleagues are nothing new. They are often the things legends are made of and gossip thrives on. However, what is seldom considered in today’s fast-paced world is the function the work place serves in an era that barely gives us time to put dinner on the table.
Let’s face it, with the amount of time we spend working, looking for that special someone could be a task too difficult to face. Church, friends, and leisure activities don’t provide the outlets they once did. The office, on the other hand, is the perfect place to look and find a mate. It’s the one place that provides a pre-selected pool of people who share at least one important interest—work. It’s a semi-safe pool of people you or your colleagues know.
The work place is not only the most logical place to find a date; it’s also the most obvious. So, get up from your desk and see who occupies the next cubicle. A glance over the transom can pay off in ways you couldn’t imagine.
THE BENEFITS OF WORK-PLACE DALLIANCES:
- The object of your affection will probably live nearby.
- You can see each other on a daily basis.
- You’ll probably be about the same age.
- One-third of all office romances end in marriage.
- Getting to know colleagues lacks the stress of meeting a stranger.
- Disagreements make it difficult to keep things professional on the job.
- The familiarity of the office may lead to jumping too willingly into a relationship without considering the consequences.
- Relationships with a boss or subordinate may be a minefield that puts your job in jeopardy.
- Working and playing together is trying in the best of times.
- It can kill a relationship.
- Check with HR.
- A fling at the office is not worth losing your job.
- They’re going to talk. Gossip is inevitable.
To mate or not to mate at the office; the decision is up to you. Office relationships can definitely spice up your life. Go for it!
We want to know what you think about mixing business with pleasure. Leave a comment below!